Bunn The Baker has moved!

If you aren't automatically redirected visit
www.bunnthebaker.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Friday 27 January 2012

Tasty Friday: Celeriac Soup

In an effort to be healthy and save money I've been taking soup to work in my flask every day, but I realised that tinned soups are just horrible. We got a celeriac recently in our Riverford veg box and after seeing a recipe for celeriac soup on the River Cottage site I thought I'd give my own version a go!


You will need:
1 onion
1 clove of garlic
1 leek
1 carrot
1 broccoli stalk
1 celeriac
2 litres of stock
salt & pepper

First chop up the onion and garlic and fry in a large saucepan for about 5 minutes. Peel and chop the vegetables into rough inch cubes (or smaller if you aren't going to blend) and add to the saucepan. Allow the vegetables to soften for 10 minutes before adding the hot stock and leave to simmer for 20 minutes. I blended my soup and still was not happy with the consistency so spent a while pushing it through a sieve. This gave a beautiful thick and silky soup. I enjoy it with a couple of slices of seeded wholegrain bread. Delish!

I found that the River Cottage recipe seriously underestimated the volume of liquid required for the amount of veg - I originally had something the consistency of baby food and had to add another litre of stock. I also found the soup needed a lot of salt and pepper, but it's really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get feedback from my readers so leave a comment! But, be warned, anything rude, spammy or irrelevant will be removed.