Bunn The Baker has moved!

If you aren't automatically redirected visit
www.bunnthebaker.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Review: Less Than Zero

Most people know of Bret Easton Ellis thanks to the film adaptation of his third novel, American Psycho. I loved the film so was excited when I picked up his first novel Less Than Zero.

The first thing I noticed about the book was the writing style. Books written in first person don't usually annoy me but the train of thought style in this book takes some getting used to. Endless lists of names and roads. It can get a bit boring.

At times, when the book gains a bit more momentum, it is pretty disturbing. Imagine a cross between Gossip Girl and Skins. We follow the characters through their winter break from college into parties and alleyways, drug fuelled nights and emotionless days. It is so far removed from my reality that, at times, I almost felt like I was dreaming.

Less Than Zero was a quick read, a couple of evenings and one afternoon, and I sort of enjoyed it. There's no plot, the book just jumps from party to party to flashback to party. I don't think it's particularly well written, something the author and many critics agree on, and therein lies my biggest problem with the book. Just because it was written when Ellis was 19, does that excuse its shortcomings? I don't think so. I remember studying Mary Shelley's Frankenstein at school and mentioning to my teacher how repetitive the language was, how the style seemed messy and childish. He responded by telling me "She was only 18! What do you expect?". What I expect from any published author, regardless of age, is a well written novel.

Still, I enjoyed parts of this book and am intrigued to read the sequel Imperial Bedrooms which is set when the characters are all grown up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get feedback from my readers so leave a comment! But, be warned, anything rude, spammy or irrelevant will be removed.