Bunn The Baker has moved!

If you aren't automatically redirected visit
www.bunnthebaker.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday 8 February 2011

Kindle for Android

I finally got my lovely HTC back after it getting ruined by condensation... actually they replaced it so I now have a shiny one!

I was stocking up on apps from the Android Market when I stumbled across Kindle. I'm not so completely sheltered that I don't know about electronic book reader things, but I have to say I don't know a lot about them. So, I downloaded the app, browsed the free books (of which there are hundreds and hundreds) but finally settled on The Hanging Shed by Gordon Ferris for one English pound.

For any of you who live even further in the dark than me I'll tell you a bit about Amazon Kindle. Technically speaking it is a software, hardware and network platform which allows you to read books on the go without having to lug around a load of paper. Books are turned into computer files which can be downloaded wirelessly (using wi-fi or Amazon's 3G "Whispernet" network) and read on a little tablet computer. The screen uses a special e-ink technology which makes reading easier on the eyes than a conventional screen and also hugely increases battery life.



The Kindle in its app incarnation has some great features too. Through a service called "Whispersync", you can synchronise your reading progress, bookmarks and other info across all your devices - Kindle, mobile apps and PC. You can browse and download hundreds of thousands of books, magazines and newspapers and even read a sample of a book before you decide to purchase.


For me, this is brilliant. I love to read but never remember to take a book with me. I'll be sat in the Doctors or on the bus just wishing I had my book. Obviously I wouldn't be much better at remembering to take a Kindle with me, but I almost always have my mobile with me. It's also a lot cheaper than buying books, and a lot less hassle than going to the library! For the fashion conscious among you there are loads of accessories to personalise your Kindle too.


In short, I'm partially won over. I'll never give up browsing the library shelves, but I really want a kindle for my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get feedback from my readers so leave a comment! But, be warned, anything rude, spammy or irrelevant will be removed.