Bunn The Baker has moved!

If you aren't automatically redirected visit
www.bunnthebaker.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday 27 March 2012

Striped Cake

You may remember me from previous cakes such as the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake last year. This year I didn't really have the time to go all out so made a rich chocolate sponge which I sandwiched and covered with buttercream (no-where near enough of it according to the Mr) and then covered in stripes of fondant.




In my head it was going to look like a candy striped circus tent. Turns out striped fondant is pretty hard to do!

I divided my icing into 4 and kneaded in paste colours. Then I rolled each colour out to about ½cm thick and used a pizza slice to cut long strips. I laid the strips out, alternating the colurs, and rolled again to about ¼cm. I hoped this would squidge the strips together to create one big piece of icing. It didn't, so I spent the next 15 minutes laying the strips onto the cake. Finally I brushed with a little sugared water to give the cake a nice sheen, drizzled with melted white chocolate (which didn't quite drizzle, it sort of lumped on), topped with candles and a white-chocolate dipped cake ball and finally a sprinkling of glitter.

I'm not going to pretend that it's the most beautiful cake I ever made but it tasted good and Ashleigh loved it.

Have you got any tips or links for making a striped cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get feedback from my readers so leave a comment! But, be warned, anything rude, spammy or irrelevant will be removed.