Bunn The Baker has moved!

If you aren't automatically redirected visit
www.bunnthebaker.co.uk
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday 21 April 2012

5 Easy Steps to Healthy Living

After deciding to ditch the chemicals in my cosmetics cupboard it felt a bit silly to not give my diet a bit of an overhaul too. I've never bothered much about what I eat, thinking Pot Noodle and a Diet Coke is a perfectly acceptable lunch most of my life. When I started to really think about things though, there's an awful lot of rubbish in what we eat. I remember looking at a flapjack in the local shop, made locally by a local company. It contained 23 different e-numbers. When I make flapjacks there's only about 5 ingredients.

So, I made some changes. And what have I found? I'm happier, my skin looks better and I have more energy. Here's how you can get those same benefits.


1. Go organic
I know, I know - Organic food costs way more than 'normal' food. But did you know that non-organic produce is grown using not just a huge number of chemicals (including some proven to cause cancer) but also hormones to produce bigger yields. All of this leeches into your food, be it animal, vegetable or fruit, and can affect the way your body works. Organic produce is also better for the environment and helps local economy.




2. Cut down on saturated fats
For me this has meant cutting out all red meat and dairy products which aren't just high in saturated fats but also often contain loads of hormones. I am a full convert to (unsweetened organic) soya milk for my tea and porridge and have been fulfilling my body's protein needs with more fish, lentils and buckwheat.


3. Cut out refined sugars and sweeteners
Refined sugars cause a spike in blood-glucose levels prompting the body to produce more insulin which can cause a slight in-balance in your hormones. That can result in loads of problems including bad skin, mood swings and insomnia. Don't replace your sugar with artificial sweeteners though as they arer packed full of nasty chemicals. Opt for natural sweeteners such as honey, fruit and vegetables (pumpkin cake anyone?).


4. Choose complex carbs.
That whole hi-GI / lo-GI thing gets my head in a muddle. Eat complex carbohydrates like brown rice, wholewheat pasta, oats and other whole grains and try not to eat so many white flour products, potatoes and refined grains.




5. Water, water, water!
Drink more of it! Hardly anyone drinks enough. Aim for a couple of litres of filtered water every day. You'll find yourself needing to go to the toilet more at first but you'll soon adjust. I bought myself a water bottle to take to work and, although I'm finding this the hardest change to stick to, I'm doing OK!





So there you have it, my top 5 tips for feeling your best. What's your secret tip?

3 comments:

  1. I am trying to overhaul my diet, I don't eat meat and can't have dairy so that's easy but I am a sucker for the sugar. I am trying to reduce my intake, I've had hormonal problems so I think it's about time I give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had much of a sweet tooth - it's cheese that I really miss!

      Delete
  2. Kudos to you for making a lifestyle change. I believe it will be the best decision you have ever made!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get feedback from my readers so leave a comment! But, be warned, anything rude, spammy or irrelevant will be removed.